Fifth Business

Fifth Business

2010年8月28日星期六

Character sketch

In the novel Fifth Business, Dunstan Ramsay and Percy Boyd Staunton’s relationship existed throughout the novel. Dunstan Ramsay was brought up in an intellectual Scottish Presbyterian family in Deptford. He was very interested in spiritual matters and saints. Percy's and Dunstan's characters contrast in many ways. The most prominent way in which they contrast is their values. Dunstan values spiritual things, while Percy values only material things. Percy is impressed by and yearns for money, while Dunstan could care less about it.

For example Where Boy lived high, I lived - well, not low, but in the way congenial to myself. I thought twenty-four dollars was plenty for a ready-made suit, and four dollars a criminal price for a pair of shoes. I changed my shirt twice a week and my underwear once. I had not yet developed any expensive tastes and saw nothing wrong with a good boarding-house. (Page 113).

This shows us that where as Percy was in pursuit of money and possessions, Dunstan was concerned elsewhere. Their values also contrast to each other. “To him the reality was of life lay in external things, whereas for me the only reality was of the spirit - of mind.” (Page 114) Dunstan values spiritual things, for example Mrs. Dempster was important to him because he thought she was a saint. Dunstan is in a search for inner truth and spirituality, and Percy is searching for outer beauty and appearances.

My Grandfather


In my life, there was an important person that guides me through my childhood to adult life. He played with me, kept me safe, and taught me how to face challenge with optimism. And this friend was my grandfather. He was a role model, a father figure and a true friend.

Seventy years ago, he was born in a small village, he was eldest son in his family, when he was a student, he studied very hard and he went to a very famous university in the city, he was the first person went to that university in their village. The success of my grandfather was the pride of the village. When he completed his education by attending four years in university, he was very lucky to get a good job in a high school. He taught physical courses in his high school and he was an exacting teacher. He always told me: “there are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, learning from failure.” When I have a problem with my work, I always can remember my grandfather and my grandfather’s admonitions.

He also was a very romantic person. I remember once I was very curious and asked him a question: “how did you meet my grandmother.” I could feel my grandfather was a little shy when he heard my question. He answered: “we met in our high school, she taught biology courses in our high school. She was beautiful when she was young even now and also was very kind teacher in our school. Most of students venerated her.”

Though he was 70 years old, but he always played with me. I didn’t feel he was old man, I remembered my grandfather said: “You’re only as old as you feel and I feel forty today!” Although he was an old man, he looked healthy enough. He had a positive attitude towards his later years of life. He did physical exercises every morning. He could read books without wearing glasses. He was so strong that he was able to lift heavy things by himself. I couldn’t believe a seventy year old man had so much energy. I asked he; “how can I become a healthy and energetic person” he told me: “that we need to be happy and optimistic when dealing with difficulties.” I think of my grandfather was optimist and realist. My grandfather also enrolled old age collage and has made a lot of friends in his old age. I think these activities afforded him great pleasure in his old age.

Thought my grandfather was seventy years old. I don’t think so. He would always be forty years old in my mind, like he said: “You’re only as old as you feel and I feel forty today!” he was a healthy and romantic person. He also taught me so many experiences in my life and I always remember my grandfather’s admonition “there are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, learning from failure.” when I have problems.

没有评论:

发表评论